Session 6 – Social and Security
- Thinking Security
- Thinking Social
- Next week
- Grades/points updated
- On passwords, Google two-step authentication and social sites : Shel Israel
- Hardening your WordPress installation
- Change your basic admin username (we did this in our first lab)
- If you have the option to do so, changing wordpress table prefix from wp_ on installation
- Keep WordPress updated via the admin panel
- Install the Limit Login Attempts plugin to prevent brute-force attacks.
- Install BulletProof Security
- Check your site with WP Security Scan
- Keep your site backed up (WP-DB Manager)
- Admin SSL Secure Plugin will encrypt your panel with SSL.
- Block Bad Queries will try to block malicious queries.
- Only install plugins offered through your admin panel or via the plug-in directory at wordpress.org.
Things to avoid when choosing a password:
- Any variation of your own real name, username, company name or website name
- A dictionary word, in any language.
- A short password.
- Any numeric-only or alphabetic-only password
The best password is a mixture of alpha-numeric-special characters with upper and lower case and is at least 8 characters long (longer is better).
- Remember, your site must have social media integration
- Social may include live blogging : ScribbleItLive, Storify
- Social also means comments and commenting
- Double check this page to make sure your site link is correct
- Test link still broken : Annette
- Remember to either delete or edit the “Hello, World” blog post and comment. (example on test)
- Pair up and help one another with your bio copy! Everyone’s “About” page should be functional and contain info on how to contact you.
- Dashboard customization (screen options)
- Dashboard : Appearance -> Menus
- How can you incorporate “social” into your sites?
- Integrate your WP site with your Google+ profile
- Resumes: consider embedding PDF as Slideshare or set up an account at Scribd.com (example below)
- Class site blog posts : log in to COM585 dashboard, click on your name.
If you have blog posts that are categorized ASSIGNMENT or UNCATEGORIZED please edit them tonight. (Assignment category is for assignments like the precis for your project – not blog posts that are part of your participation grade or discussion leader grade.) Also — as a general statement there should be only one category selected; rare exceptions for two categories; pick the closest one and then use tags!
Example of resume embedded on Slideshare
Example of resume embedded on Scribd
- Dec 10 – only possible three takers : I have reserved CMU 6.30-8.30.
- Dec 12 : Deliverables due by 6 pm: lessons learned, project plan. Announcement and website due by midnight.
- Project plan additional requirements -> include wireframe of home page and at least one secondary page (can be blog/blog post) – wireframe can be PDF/image of sketch; include screen capture of WP Dashboard showing plugins; include screen capture of WP Dashboard showing theme widgets; include screen capture of WP Dashboard showing settings-> general.