Web Site Genre Analysis
To be done in pairs (same pair as assignment 1).
- E-Commerce Sites: A Comparison of ModCloth, eShakti and Zappos – Dominique and Lisa : Creative use of video to capture flow
- E-Commerce Sites: KartellStoreLA, Modcloth, and Warby Parker – Mariana and Samantha- Multiple Christmas Shopping options. : Creative scenario [this is the edit link not the view link]
- Entertain Me! A Teenager at the Helm- Janae and Dacia : well-done persona (photo); contains highlights as well as detailed analysis
- News Media – Rachael and Ting
- NewsMedia- Ruba and Joanna and Marina : analyzes social; comprehensive and annotated images
- Non-profits- Cherilyn and Elizabeth : multiple personas and scenarios
- Non-profits – Cheryl and Rachel : multiple user goals
- Non-profits – Kat and Veronica : Individual touches in implementing required components
- Professional Services – Derek and Thor : Three unique use cases
Pick one genre for in-depth aesthetic (competitive) analysis. Use the site that you selected as well as at least two sites from other students. What are the similarities in visual design? What are the differences? How effective is the visual design? Develop at least one scenario to test the design, which must include who you have determined is the audience segment; what constitutes “success”? Give evidence for your judgment.
On the course blog, create a page for this assignment. Analyze each website; link your page to the summary page, Web Site Genre Analysis.
Once you have the data, then think about how to best present the results. At a minimum, each of the three sites needs:
- Org name, URL, home page screen shot
- Analytical summary, including “do-s” and “don’t-s”
Due 9 am Wednesday, 16 November (Week 8 – this is a change from the original syllabus)
- 50 points : all components present, no typos/grammar errors, demonstrates creative thought and initiative (beyond bare bones answering of questions)
- 45 points : all components present, minimal errors, average response to questions
- 40 points : missing components or major errors or below-average response to questions
- 35 points : missing components and major errors or below-average response to questions