Site name and description: Nordstrom. Nordstrom, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading fashion specialty retailers, with 237 U.S. stores located in 31 states. Founded in 1901 as a shoe store in Seattle, today Nordstrom operates 117 full-line stores, 116 Nordstrom Racks, two Jeffrey boutiques, one Treasure & Bond store and one clearance store. Nordstrom also serves customers through its online presence and through its catalogs. Additionally, the Company operates in the online private sale marketplace through its subsidiary HauteLook. Nordstrom, Inc. is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol JWN.
Motto: We always strive to offer our customers the best possible service and products when they visit our stores.
Site URL: http://shop.nordstrom.com/
Site type: E-Commerce, Fashion
Design overview: Clean, sophisticated layout. Photos have bright colors, are lively, show popular brands, show models/real people on the move, action. Home page has photos that showcase a variety of clothing for different audiences (gender, age, brands, etc.). Images for each product allows a 360 degree view and allows you to see item in different colors and zoom in close to see texture, weave of clothing and details.
Audience: Shoppers, youth oriented, young women (and men) interested in fashion who want to stay in style, dress younger.
Business/Site Goals: Sell “style” via clothing and beauty items as well as services (Nordstrom stylists). Also have specialty items such as home décor, entertaining, gifts, bed and bath, wedding.
- Come across as hip, youth oriented
Social media integration:
- Live help
- Email updates
- Facebook (1.6 million ++ likes)
- Nordstrom Apps (Shopping apps for mobile phones, iPad, browse catalog on iPad)
- Nordstrom Apps for mobile phone and iPad
- Live Help
- Adobe Creative Suite, Illustrator, AI
Team members: Annette Frahm, Linda Jacobson
Reviews or analyses of the site:
- Easy to navigate and find what you are looking for by product, size, complete look and by event (such as party style, wedding, professional, school, etc.)
- By segment, categories within segment are unique and specific to segment, making searching intuitive
- Provides suggestions, tell you what’s trending, special section for sale items
- Site is segmented by gender, age, brands – a variety of portals to enter and perform searches
- Site asks for feedback
- Incentive: Free shipping and returns
- Wish list: allows you to add items to a list for yourself for future shopping or to share with family and friends for gift ideas. You can also find wish lists of other people.